Mmmmm, just looking at all the sites with Mexican recipes makes me salivate with anticipation of the food to come this week.
I was surprised to learn earlier this year, that almost all my favourite “Mexican” dishes weren’t Mexican at all, but Tex-Mex. Nachos? Out. Cheese Sauce? Out. That said, the dishes that are Mexican still look fabulous, and exactly what the doctor ordered for the end of winter: colourful, spicy, limey and filling, with lots of corn and beans.
Unfortunately the Moreland Libraries couldn’t pull through for me with an available book about Mexican Cuisine, so I resorted to the internets once more. After perusing a number of sites, listed below, I put together the following menu:
- Mole Poblano
- Hot Chocolate
- Champurrado (thick hot chocolate with aniseed)
- Chayote Soup
- Picadillo ( a mince-based dish)
- Refried Beans
- Lime soup (sopa de lima)
- salads, salsas and stuff
Can’t wait to start the nomming.
Separating the Mexican from the Tex Mex on the net was more difficult and time consuming than you’d think. Below are a few links I liked the look of, including a few for veg recipes.
- This site is about Mexican Culture, written by a group of students. I always fall for the id stuff.
- VMexx, a vegan Mexican Food blog
- Vegan Mexican Food dot Com (self explanatory)
- Earth Vegan has a nice assembly of posts about Mexican food
- Authentic Mexican Recipes, Mexican Foodie, and MexGrocer – not vegan
- and do check out K’s post on her new Tortilla press, over at In The Mood For Noddles.