After scouring the net, and my local library, I have found that Tanzanian Food is based mostly around grains, greens, curry powder, coconut flesh and milk, bananas and plantains, tomatoes and peanuts (or groundnuts). Sounds good to me!
I have settled on the following list of dishes to prepare this week:
- Ugali – grain porridge served with other dishes
- Curry squash
- Kachumbali – a salad
- Tofu in coconut milk – from a recipe for curry chicken
- Makubi (greens, tomatoes and peanut butter)
- Coconut rice
- Baked green bananas in orange syrup
- Coconut bean soup
- all washed down with some Tanzanian-style chai
I’m looking forward to making and eating this list of filling foods… hope you can stay with me for it.