I think the only people I’ve ever heard pronounce “Belarus” are presenters of Eurovision. So in my head the title of this post must be read in high-pitched, heavily accented English, with far too many exclamation marks, and followed by rapid French which may or may not be an actual translation of the English.
Anyway, here’s some stuff about Belarus! Quoi qu’il en soit, here’ ; s une certaine substance au sujet du Belarus ! Absolutely amazing! Absolument!
Where is it?
Belarus is a landlocked country in eastern Europe, which shares borders with Russia to the East, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland to the North and West, and the Ukraine to the South. The capital is Minsk!, which is fun and a little satisfying to say, and it looks to be sort of in the middle of Belarus! Fantastic!
Votre robe a tant de sequins! Son brillant. Je ne me sens pas comme parler du Belarus, personne lit ceci de toute façon. Fantastique!
People and Economy
- Population: 9,612,632
- Median Age: 38.8
- The population has a negative growth rate, due to slowing birth rate and people moving out of Belarus.
- Amazing! huit points!
- Ethnic groups: Belarusian 81.2%, Russian 11.4%, Polish 3.9%, Ukrainian 2.4%, other 1.1%
- Languages: Belarusian (official) 36.7%, Russian (official) 62.8%, other 0.5% (includes small Polish- and Ukrainian-speaking minorities) (inclut les enfants miniature qui parlent Poli ou Ukrainien!!!)
- Religion: Eastern Orthodox 80%, other (including Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, and Muslim) 20%
- GDP per capita: $12,500
- Unemployment: 1% but there is a problem of underemployment
Fun facts about Belarus
- Their presidents serve terms of 7 years! C’est un long temps! Camembert! Absolument!
- Belarus has been sending contestants to the Eurovision Song Contest since 2004. Au cas où vous ne pourriez pas dire, j’aime Eurovision beaucoup!
- Belarus has given its 12 points to Russia at 6 out of the 7 Eurovision’s they’ve been to. Essayez-vous sérieusement toujours de sembler raisonnable du Français? Eurovision! Stupéfier! douze points!
- CIA World factbook
- The Virtual Guide to Belarus
- Belarus at Eurovision
- To “speak French” as well as me, check out http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt