Buongiorno! I am pretty happy to announce that this week coming (and the week prior, but whatever) is Italy week here at the Roundtheworldvegan kitchen.
Since I was little I have always wanted to visit Italy. It looks beautiful, the language is beautiful, and most of all, the food is divine! I probably wont be getting there for a long while, but it doesn’t mean I can’t bring a little Italy into my kitchen.
First, a little bit about Italy.
Where is it?
Well, its in the Mediterranean Sea, sharing borders to the north east with Austria and Slovenia, and to the north west with Switzerland, France and San Marino.
Facts and Figures
- Median Age: 43.7 years (Really quite high)
- Birth Rate: 1.32 children born per woman (one of the lowest in the world)
- Life Expectancy at Birth: 80.33 years
- GDP per capita:$30,700 (2010 est.)
- I usually cover religion, languages and ethnicities here, but Italy seems to be quite homogeneous, according to the CIA world fact book: 90% catholic, nearly 100% Italian (the CIA is counting German-Italian and Slovenian-Italian as the same), with the predominant language being Italian, except in border areas.
- Unemployment: 8.4%
- Economic Equality (Gini Index): 32, which is more equal than Japan or Canada, but not as equal as Sweden (the fairest) or Australia.
Random other Italian bits and pieces
- One of the healthiest, longest living groups of people in the world live in Campodimele, Italy (according to a book I got for my birthday about living forever (a long time) via good nutrition).
- Italy competed in the Eurovision Song Contest frequently from the first in 1957 until 1997. It hasn’t entered since 1997.
Mmmm, this is the Italy week menu!
- Canneloni (my favourite pasta dish)
- Stromboli – rolled pizza
- Gnocchi – potato dumplings
- Arancini – risotto balls
- Big salads
- Riso Nero (from my book)
- Antipasti, various
- Braised Lentils
- some kind of polenta
- “meat” balls, if I get time
Hope you can join me for it!