Yum. This recipe came from the Kasehlelie Press, and you can see it here. I’ve updated the quantaties because a gallon is a bit much for us to get through. I’ve changed the wording to follow the directions I think the writer was getting at.
You get to watch it change colour from purple to red, like magic!
Iced Hibiscus Tea
Makes 1 Litre
- 5 red hibiscus flowers, washed, stems removed.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 calamansi
- 3 cups cold water
- Ice, optional
- In a small saucepan, add 1 cup of water and sugar. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from heat and add the flower. Stir a little, and steep until the water goes purple.
- Squeeze calamansi into the tea, and watch it turn bright red.
- Allow to cool.
- Add to cold water, and serve with ice.