On Sunday a shipment including imported vegetables arrived on the island. I got pretty excited when I saw them, and went on a bit of a shopping spree, much the the amusement of the staff at the shop (locals don’t eat a lot of veg). In my defence, its been maybe three weeks since there were fresh vegies around, and even though I had used them sparingly, I ran out of everything but potato and cucumber late last week.
In honor of the fresh veg, we have had a heavy on the veg week. I have learned my lesson though, and this time I’m going the way of the ants, not the grasshopper, and I’ve chopped and frozen half my swag for later use.
Monday, we had porridge with fresh apple for breakfast, gazpacho (with the one non-mouldy tomato) and hummus with home made foccacia for lunch, and steamed veg with burgers for dinner. Vegetable heaven!
The rest of the week has been similar, with a yummy focus on fresh veg.
Just to make this week even better, on Monday my Vegan Online care package arrived, with some mock rendang, vegan cabana, nutritional yeast and agar agar (you can’t get these things on the island.) So we’ve had one rendang (the other is being saved for a special ocassion), a lot of nooch (I like it on popcorn with curry powder), and I even made a vegan strawberries and cream pie with the agar. Life is good.
Black bean burgers with orange-soy glaze
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp basil (dried)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- pinch pepper
- oil, to fry
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- zest and juice of one orange
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup (or golden syrup or browns sugar – we can’t get them here)
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp water with 1 tbs corn flour as a slurry
- In a large bowl add beans, soy sauce and herbs/spices. Mash together with your hands until most of the beans are mostly mashed.
- Add the flour, and continue to mix with your hands until combined.
- Form small balls with your hands and press slightly into a pattie shape.
- Fry the pattie in a wok or frying pan, until almost blackened on one side, turn over and repeat.
- To make sauce, place water, soy, sugar/syrup, and orange juice and zest into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the cornflour slurry and beat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, drizzle over burgers and serve with vegetables.