About – where is it?
Well the name says it all really. South Africa is in the south of Africa, at the southern-most tip. It is between the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. South Africa surrounds Lesotho, and also borders with Namibia to the north-west, Botswana to the north, and Zimbabwe, Swaziland and Mozambique to the north-east.
About – people and economy (from CIA World Factbook)
• Population: 48 810 427
• Median age: 25.3 years
• Life expectancy at birth: 49.41 years
• Children born per woman: 2.28
• Religions: Protestant 36.6% (Zionist Christian 11.1%, Pentecostal/Charismatic 8.2%, Methodist 6.8%, Dutch Reformed 6.7%, Anglican 3.8%), Catholic 7.1%, Muslim 1.5%, other Christian 36%, other 2.3%, unspecified 1.4%, none 15.1%
• Languages: IsiZulu (official) 23.82%, IsiXhosa (official) 17.64%, Afrikaans (official) 13.35%, Sepedi (offcial) 9.39%, English (official) 8.2%, Setswana (official) 8.2%, Sesotho (official) 7.93%, Xitsonga (official) 4.44%, siSwati (official) 2.66%, Tshivenda (official) 2.28%, isiNdebele (official) 1.59%, other 0.5%
• Literacy: 86.4%, with men and women roughly equal.
• GDP per capita: $11 100
• Unemployment rate: 24.9% overall, and 48.2% for youth.
Did you know…?
- South Africa has the highest death rate in the world (number of deaths per year, per thousand inhabitants). This is largely due to the AIDS epidemic, with an adult prevalence rate of 17.%, and the biggest number of adults living with HIV/AIDS in the world.
- With a GINI index of 65, South Africa is the second least fair country in the world with respect to the distribution of family income.
- The Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner was invented in South Africa
- Check out http://www.southafricanembassy-jakarta.or.id/didyouknow.html for more SA facts.
On the menu for my foray into South African food are these dishes:
- bunny chow
- bobotie and yellow rice
- sausage, pap and sauce and
- frikadell (meatballs) with green beans and potatoes
I intend to make one these desserts – but it is so hard to chose which one!
- Milk tart
- Koeksisters (a deep fried dumpling in syrup)
- Pumpkin fritters in syrup
- Malva pudding (apricot jam-flavoured pudding)
- Apple caramel pudding
Links for South Africa